The rebuilding Mets have officially surpassed MBTN’s ability to keep up the changes, but here goes another round.
The newly acquired Pedro Astacio was issued jersey No. 34.
The massive 11-player trade with Colorado and Milwaukee looks like this:
* Jeromy Burnitz was No. 5 in his first go-round with the Mets — that’s free now with Shinjo gone. However, he wore No. 20 in Milwaukee, which currently belongs to Mark Johnson, who, ironically, is also a former Met No. 5.
* Lou Collier was 16 in Milwaukee — available.
* Mark Sweeney was No. 33 with Milwaukee — available now that Donne Wall is gone.
* Craig House was a 48 in Colorado — available and a potential straight-up uni swap for Glendon Rusch.
* Jeff D’Amico was No. 13 with Milwaukee — which indicates he’s quirky and will be hunting for a new number soon, if Edgardo Alfonzo has anything to say about it.
* With Lenny Harris gone, it is quite possible Roger Cedeno will take the now-vacant No. 19. (see below)